Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Holiday Shopper...best $20 ever spent









OK...so at first I was skeptical of this...Mason's school had a holiday shopping day where local vendors come to school and the parents give the kids money to shop for special xmas gifts. I am not one that likes to waste money on things "I think are silly" BUT we didnt want him to feel left out so I reluctantly gave him a check for $20 and a list of people he should consider shopping for along with discussing about how Christmas is a time for giving to others and not getting for himself.....well, I definately planned on him shopping for himself and was worried he would choose not to buy for one of his siblings....I told him he may not have enough money to shop for everyone and so we would take him out to get the rest. He came home saying he did his best...he could only buy for his family in his house because he didnt have enough money...BUT what made this experience totally worth it was the excitement in eyes...he was so proud of his shopping and could NOT wait to give everyone the gifts he chose for them. This made my heart happy to see him so thrilled about something AND not even concerned that he would be the only one not recieving a gift tonight.

Yes, he had to give them to us tonight because Christmas Morning in his eyes was a million miles away. After dinner we gathered around the tree and Mason passed out his gifts. He had Ryder open first and it was a small sqeezey rubber ducky...and I dont know who was happier? Ryder got the biggest smile about this little duck as he tore the paper off and Mason had a bigger smile to see how happy this made his little brother. Then he passed Jack his package and it was another little ducky. Thankfully Jack too smiles at everything:) Mom was next and he not only has made me two special cards at school this week but now this tiny package with a red beaded necklace and earrings....mommy thought they were so pretty....he told us how he had wanted to get that for Cari but thought the earrings would hurt her ears so he got it for mom instead:)

Next, he gave Cari her package and he could barely contain himself as he ripped it from her to help her open it..."Look Cari, it is a REAL gold necklace, made of REAL GOLD" Of course Cari loves some jewerly and was so excited to put it on. and last but not least was what I think was Mason's FAVORITE gift to give.....to Daddy As the paper tore from this small box Mason exclaims"Look Dad your very own......GUMBALL MACHINE!!! Yes, we now are the proud owners of this contraption that Mason has already modeled for us over and over....I bet this was the gift he wished he could have gave himself????
 
All and all this was maybe one of the best moments for me this holiday season...it was something completly OUT OF MY CONTROL and yet heartfelt at the same time....My little boy is growing up, making good choices and I can see he is learning from what we are teaching him.  Even though you look at what he actually brought home for $20, I think it ws the best $20 spent on gifts this holiday season...I'm not sure even Santa could top this!!!  And Mommy loved seeing Mason so full of spirit AND thanks!!!  I am so thankful my kids know that Christmas is about the birth of Christ and giving to others before themselves...something I had wondered if they understood but got a glimmer of today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment